Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Work of our Hands

This past semester Arianna has been taking art lessons twice a month. The classes are on Thursdays for two hours. Here is a sampling of her work, we didn't get to see any of her work until the art exhibit. It was exciting to finally see all her work after hearing about it every week. She completed 32 hours of art.

Julianna and Arianna in front of "cubism" art

clay fish (my favorite piece)

drawing of the white house and cubism

contour shells, and drawing of hanging jacket
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the work of my hands.....the girls Easter dresses!

I know how to sew but I've always wanted to smock. After years of wanting I finally took a class on a Saturday morning (while dear husband was grocery shopping with 3 kids) and learned... and I'm hooked. I absolutely love it. This is my first project, the girls have matching bishop dresses. Many, many stitches and hours, but so relaxing and enjoyable.

The finished result!






I just started my next project matching bishop dresses with Angel sleeves in soft yellow microcheck. This is the smocking plate:


That's what smocking is for everyone who has asked me lately what I've been up to!

5 comments:

Andrea van Eyk said...

AWWW They are beautiful!!!! Great Job!! want to make me a shirt? :-) Love ya'll!!!
...Andrea

The Arnold's said...

Wow! Arianna is quite the artist! I can't believe the drawings at her age!! Good job Ariannna!

The smocking is beautiful! As are the dresses!
Love y'all,
Jenette

Jon and Kel said...

Good job! That smocking looks like it will take forever ;)

Arianna, your artwork is beautiful! The hanging jacket looks really great! Jonathan and Hannah are taking art now too, and I hope they learn as well as you have.

Mel said...

WOW! That smocking looks complicated!
Arianna, your art class looks like tons of fun! I like your drawing of the White House.
I tried to leave this comment yesterday at my sisters house and for some reason it didn't work?!

Unknown said...

Aunt Marlene! The dresses are absoulutly amazing! I always have wanted to smock!

...Jenna